Having places to meet and connect are very important for everyone but especially for socially disadvantaged and isolated communities and there are few places like this in Kowanyama. Providing places that groups and families can meet , connect and relax are important to the wellbeing of people going through hard times.
Decisions are made on how this fund is spent in consultation with the local community and church members. Funds are raised by the local church, community members, outside donors and some of our fundraising goes into this fund. We recently were very grateful to have received a grant from FRRR that provided for the materials for a major extension to this space installed by our volunteers.
As well as being a church it is also where programs are run for kids, many community events, cultural workshops, arts events, funerals, weddings, christenings etc. and families and groups use the area as well. It really is the hub of the community.
To date OTK has built a fence around the parks area to keep bulls and horses out, repaired and painted the toilet block and replaced its roof, planted trees with irrigation for future shaded areas, built a public BBQ area with picnic table and coin operated BBQ for use by all community members. All with raised funds, volunteer work and a contribution from Qld Govt grant Caring for Communities. Local men led by Viv Sinnamon erected a traditional shelter over the picnic table. This has really provided a wonderful family/community meeting place that there hadn't been before and it has been well used.
The Kowanyama police and community members raised the funds to put airconditioners in the church building which are much needed in this very hot place. OtK also contributed in a small way to this fundraising.
in September 2020 with a grant from FRRR our volunteers installed a stage two extension consisting of extensive additional seating, a rain and shade sail, a fireplace, brazier and fire pit and the fence damage was repaired and more trees planted.
Current priorities for this fund are:
- Additional picnic tables and park equipment and fire pit to make it a community connection hub.
- Expansion of the tree planting and landscaping.
- Repairs to damage to fencing from bulls ( we are hoping these destructive bulls will be kept out of community in future).
- Repairs to most of the church building have now been committed to by the Anglican diocese and we are no longer fundraising for this.
- Installing videoconferencing equipment in the church to be used by the community for education, for funeral attendances especially for boarding school students so they don't have to miss school. ( we have applied for a grant pending outcome December 2020)
- This fund is used for improvements to the publically accessible space at the Kowanyama church.
To contribute please go to our donate page.